Saturday 16 February 2013

Making your own washi tape is 'Squ'easy!!!

Hello and happy Saturday everyone... Jenny here :0)

I had better show you my card first this morning and then the title will make 
sense to you!! I've used Lawn Fawns small stamp set called Make Lemonade
for a sunny card on this lovely sunny day....


I hope you can forgive the pun but I thought it worked so well for lemonade :0)

Can you see the grey chevron washi tape?... it's homemade and I thought I'd show you
 how I did it with a few photos. I love the look of washi and all those coloured rolls available just
blow my mind with choices of patterns and styles!! I found a tutorial on Pinterest for making your own with double sided tape and tissue paper alongside inks and stamps of your choice so 
you can customise it to your project.


By using double-sided tape you can make your washi tape as long or as wide as you want.
Simply place the length of tape you require on the shiny side of the tissue paper...you'll
notice that tissue paper has a slight sheen on one side and the other is much 
more matt which is easier to stamp on.
Idea: With lots of colours of tissue paper available you don't have to stick with white either!!


Turn the tissue over but do not trim yet, this makes stamping on the tape easier.
I have used Lawn Fawns Chevron Backdrops and Basic Grey Ink from SU, it's a bit of trial and error when it comes to inks but most do dry on the tissue...heating with a heatgun is not advised!!
Tip: Pale inks will appear very light when you have taken the backing off the adhesive and also take 
into consideration the strength of the background colour your attaching the washi too.


Continue with the pattern until you are happy with the design and then when the ink is 
dry turn the tissue back over to trim. I have used a ruler and sharp craft knife but if you have a 
steady hand, scissors work well too as you can use the edge of the tape as a guide to
 butt the blade against.... of course you could cut it into thinner strips if you want to as well :0)
I've also shown in the photo that it is easy to tear the tape even with the backing still on the adhesive
to give another authentic washi look :0)


Now I only made a small strip for photography purposes but to save time you can 
make longer lengths and store them for future projects too :0)

Sorry for the long post but I hope you're inspired to have a go making your
own washi tape too....another perfect way to use those small stamps, you dont have 
to stick with geometric patterns :0)

Lawn Fawn stamps used: Make Lemonade,Chevron Backdrops, Dad's Day,Jessie's ABC's

Thanks for stopping by.

Jenny x


1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOVE this Jenny!
Lou x