Sunday 19 April 2015

Stamping Contrasts - A Week Long Blog Special


We've got something a little different for you on the blog this week - the DT have paired up this week and each day this week we're bringing you two projects both made with the same stamp set but with a contrast to the stamping - so masculine vs feminine, CAS vs lots of layers, colourful vs monochrome.  We hope this shows you how to get some different looks from the sets you already have and to give you some ideas how to stretch your stamping. 

To kick things off - Lydia and I have teamed up to play with one of the super versatile floral sets from Wplus9 - Fresh Cut Containers and our contrast is FEMININE VS MASCULINE.

  



Lydia

For my FEMININE take I stamped the watering can in Hero Arts 'Wet Cement' as this is a very light ink I wasn't too worried about stamping over this with my flowers and leaves so they would appear to be flowing over the sides. I stamped the flowers and leaves in bright, fresh inks as what is more feminine than pretty flowers?!?! I also added shading to the florals with a little coloured pencil and a little glitter never hurts.

For my mat I added a scalloped pink layer to draw out the colour of the roses. The beautiful sentiment is from Winnie & Walter 'A Tree For All Seasons'.


Tara


To take the same set down the MASCULINE route, I opted for a mostly green colour palette on kraft card which I always think works well for masculine cards (which are actually my favourites to make - I know I'm weird!)  I used the rock and roll technique to stamp the watering can and bowl in two shades of grey ink and then added a little more depth with pencils.   To fill them I used 3 shades of green and a little brown and just used the leaves rather than the flowers.  To hint at some florals I used the dotted stamp with lemon pigment ink over the top.  I added some rocks by inking the stamp Lydia used to create roses in brown and adding some shading with pencils.  The sentiment comes from Altenew Label Love stamped on green to match the mat and to tie the card together.  The angular quality adds to the masculinity too.   Even if you don't have this set - look at the floral stamps you do have, and give it a go - we have lots of male gardeners in our family so cards like this always go down well.


Don't forget to come back each day this week to see what other contrasts our talented team is bringing you

Have we inspired you to join in the fun?
If you fancy having a go and challenging yourself to stamp a contrast along with us then link up your entry below - just pick a contrast from any we'll be demonstrating this week and make your own.   You could either make 2 cards to show the contrast or just choose one of ours and make the contrast to match it (so choose Lydia's and make a masculine card like I did with whatever floral stamps you have)   We'll leave the link open for a week after our final post on Saturday so you have time to see all the contrasts before picking one to join in with and then have a full week to play.   You never know, we might even find a prize for the best contrast ;-)


1 comment:

Kate said...

What a fun idea. If inspiration strikes, I will take part!