Saturday 15 August 2015

A Gnomey Birthday

Hi crafters, Julia here for you today with a fun and cute birthday card featuring the sweet stamp set "You Gnome Me" by My Favorite Things.

I had to create a card for my dad who turned 82 a week ago, and as my eyes wandered across my extensive stamp collection I gasped when I saw the gnomes. Because: despite his age, my dad is super active (still teaching phys ed) and he loves to work in his garden. So, the gardening gnome it was!


I also wanted to give my colored pencils a workout and decided to color my entire scene with Prismacolor Pencils. For that, you should use a paper which has a little bit of tooth so the pencil can hold on to it better and it also allows you to work in many layers, which is the trick to really great blending with colored pencils. If you want to see how I colored him in detail, hop on over to my blog (see sidebar) and check out my video!


For the scene itself I also used the Grassy Border die by Lawn Fawn and the Landscape Trio from Mama Elephant. I used some Distress Ink behind the clouds to make the skies blue, and some Distress Ink on the grass so it wouldn't be one flat color but have some more interest because of the shading.

You'll notice that the grass and clouds also have a stitched border all around. That's because I die cut the vellum and green card stock first with a Mama Elephant basic die and only then finished the shapes off with the other dies.

Sorry for the German sentiment, but my dad never learned English, so I had to with something German :)

Thanks for stopping by today! I hope you're having a fantastic weekend!

No comments: